sound player thread eats CPU

Martin Kuball MartinKuball at web.de
Sat Sep 18 17:45:25 UTC 2004

This is a problem I observerd in all squeak images I used, going back
at least to 3.4. Now using all new 3.7 I still have the problem that
once the Sound Player thread is activated it consumes almost all the
CPU power that's available (ca 95%). I'm using squeak on Linux with
the artsdsp script to route sound output to the arts daemon.

The process browser displays this method (some lines omitted)

playLoop
	"The sound player process loop."

	| bytesPerSlice count willStop mayStop |
	mayStop _ Preferences soundStopWhenDone.
	bytesPerSlice _ Stereo ifTrue: [4] ifFalse: [2].
	[true] whileTrue: [
		[(count _ self primSoundAvailableBytes // bytesPerSlice) > 100]
			whileFalse: [ReadyForBuffer wait].

where the method selector wait is printed in red letters. Any hints to
solve the problem are welcome.

Martin