Float equality? (was: [BUG] Float NaN's)

Travis Griggs tgriggs at key.net
Tue Sep 21 19:30:52 UTC 2004

>  C'mon, "what floating-point is" is NOT one of those things you are
> entitled
>  to be ignorant of and still call yourself a programmer.  Everyone who
> leaves
>  this department with a BSc or BAppSci has met floating-point and its
> dangers
>  (but not numerical analysis) in 2nd year.

The rest of this thread is interesting too. While I would like to agree
with you... I'd say that the number of people who spend any appreciable
time programming (I'm including all of us that didn't get CS degrees
here), AND that really get floating point properties, is pretty small.
I'd bet in the 5% zone. I do agree that it ought to be something you're
not entitled to get by without, but the sad fact is that a lot get a
long ways without it.

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist