Squeak on a > 400 MHz Pocket PC?

Aaron J Reichow reic0024 at d.umn.edu
Tue Sep 21 20:37:55 UTC 2004

On Tue, 21 Sep 2004, Craig Latta wrote:

> 	The 12MB thing is just a hardwired constant in the VM source which is
> easily removed, and large screens have always been supported. I've been
> running 30MB snapshots in 1024x768 on my iPAQ since 2000.

Interesting.  I had assumed the screen would be fine- I've used all sorts
of non-QVGA WinCE devices, but just was making sure there was nothing
funky in the VM for PPC.

I thought the 12 MB thing was hardcoded for a reason- that is; I remember
reading from Yoshiki that it was all WinCE could address in one continuous
chunk.  At least, that was what he told me about vanilla WinCE 3.0 and
4.x, and that I couldn't use a bigger .image because he hadn't implemented
the memory file for the vanilla CE VM.

Perhaps you are running those 30 MB images using his handy memory mapped
file feature, which was added a few years ago?  That I imagine would be
slower, which is why I don't want to do it- the memory mapped file (~=
swap file) gets thrown on the CF/SD card.

Regards,
Aaron