Millisecond clock resolution for DateAndTime now

John Pierce john.raymond.pierce at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 02:00:06 UTC 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 03:34:15 +0200, Avi Bryant <avi at beta4.com> wrote:

> On Sep 22, 2004, at 3:26 AM, John Pierce wrote:
>
> >> You don't need to know the max value - you just need to know that it
> >> has rolled over (and you have to make sure that you check frequently
> >> enough that you'll catch every rollover).
> >
> > The current fix you provided just forks a process at image startup to
> > calculate the offset at a point in time, but I think you are proposing
> > a process that runs all the time to monitor the rollover, right?  Boy,
> > this just sounds "hacky", prone to error, and makes me feel queasy.
>
> Yup, I don't like it either.  Don't know of anything else that can be
> done at the image level though.
>
> > I wonder what we could do to get the millisecond info directly from
> > the system clock?  Is that too far fetched?  Am I just dreaming
> > here....if so wake me up.....
>
> It doesn't seem like it should be a hard thing to do... just need a new
> prim.  But it's 3am where I am, so I probably *am* dreaming.

Hmmm.....it is only 10pm here and I start to feel really tired when I
think about adding a prim to get the system clock with millisecond
precision.  Maybe if I lay down for a bit the feeling to add a prim
will go away.

Have you, Avi, ever ventured into this territory -- I must say I am
quite green in adding prims and would be happy to learn, but I
wouldn't be very quick at it and I would probably foul it all up.

Regards,

John

--
Three failures denote uncommon strength. A weakling has not enough
grit to fail thrice. -- Minna Thomas Antrim