[Esug-list] Open Text Project

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Wed Sep 22 12:30:49 UTC 2004

> Hi Stephane,
>
> Thank you for being so open and trust our community to find a solution.
>
> (Small-land people: Muy rapidito les cuento de que se trata. Stephane
> tiene un
> libro para enseniar a programar. Posiblemente lo podamos tener libre)
>
> We all know how enthusiatic you are about Smalltalk, therefore I
> assume that your
> main motivation is not money but Smalltalk itself. Nevertheless it is
> reasonable
> that you get some money after all the time you invested.

Indeed money is not my motivation. I just want to find a way that
people get good quality
and the possibility to get a printed version of the book.

> Here is my proposal:
>
> 1- Make available the most current book version. I mean the books
> "source text"
> (latex, word, or whatever)
>
> 2- Let people make the corrections until we have a readable english
> version (lets
> it call "Bot-version1").

This is nearly there.

> 3- Put "Bot-version1" under a print on demand system. You will earn
> some (little)
> money.
>
> 4- Make synergy between your book and the education projects
> (squeak-land, small-
> land). This means that your book should be very visible in the first
> page of
> these portals. The idea is that the teachers who first come to these
> portals
> should say something like: "hey, this is serious... they even have a
> couple books
> which I can read in the classroom..."

This is planned. SqueakLand people already nicely accepted. Thanks :)

> 5- The sex appeal of the education portal (web site) is very
> important. I would
> suggest that it is done by professional web-designers. Your students
> (Adrian/Lukas) should be able to build a nice SmallWiki behind. You
> can even pay
> something with some of the money you earn in step 3.
>
> 6- Encourage people to take the "source text" of your book and make
> new books out
> of them. I can imagine a spanish version, a german version, and (of
> course) a
> *french* version.
>
> 7- The offsprings of your book could also be put under a print on
> demand system.
> You are in charge of doing that, but if somebody does he will give you
> an
> arbitrary share.

Here is what I will do:
	- check normal editor in the near future
	- if one is ok go with him
	- if not I will get an ISBN + put my book free on the web open-source
+ 	find a printer so that people can get the book printed.