Jan B. Krejčí JanBKrejci at gmail.com
Wed Sep 22 12:30:48 UTC 2004

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 08:23:24 -0400, Laurent Cocea <lcocea at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> New to Squeak, I have installed 3.6 (apparently, the most recent
> stable release).

No, the most recent is 3.7

> Fonts are too small for my screen so I tryied
> installing the Bitstream Vera Fonts Naked package from
> squeakfoundation.org. To do that, I attempted using the World menu |
> Open | Package Loader method. It said my SqeakMap package was obsolete
> (I have version 1 and the master server is running version 2) so I
> have to upgrade it. I selected "Yes". The upgrade failed, apparently
> the server beta4.com is currently down
> (//beta4.com/squeak/MCInstaller.8.st not found). In a web browser, the
> main page at beta4.com reads "We are experiencing technical
> difficulties... ...and looking for new hosting. Please stand by.".

you could run Package Loader without upgrading, I did it few times.

> I have also downloaded the specific file from squeakfoundation.org. Is
> there a way to load a package from a locally downloaded file? I
> searched the FAQ and could find no instructions on that.

in World menu, select "Open", "File List", find your file and select
it. The rest depends on file suffix you want to load. Some load
without any requisitions (.st, .cs), some need a proper installer -
(.mcz, .sar)

--
.:jbk:.
Jan B. Krejci