New UI Big-Bang on unstable update stream

Diego Gomez Deck DiegoGomezDeck at ConsultAr.com
Sat Sep 25 11:39:57 UTC 2004

Hi folks,

I just uploaded the huge (380Kb) changeset including the changes made in
Small-Land image related to new UI.

description of the work.

Four new preferences dictates the new behavior, if you want to get the
old UI just evaluate:

	Preferences disable: #easySelection.
	Preferences disable: #maintainHalos.
	Preferences disable: #tabAmongFields.
	Preferences disable: #generalizedYellowButtonMenu.
	Preferences disable: #showWorldMainDockingBar.

And not forget to disable eToyFriendly preference if you miss the world
menu:

	Preferences disable: #eToyFriendly.

Except for any unconscious omission, the intended look&feel for a novice
user is almost finished.  To declare finished (instead of just "almost
finished") the new tool named "Object Hierarchy" is needed and I plan to
start with this tool as soon as I finish to write this email.

On the other side, the behavior intended for expert/programmer user is
incomplete.  The intention is to replace for complete the current
world's menu with the new menu-bar.

It's not clear if we need just 2 modes (novice / expert) or 3 of them
(novice / expert / programmer).

The system is also crying for a mechanism to registry items in menu-bar
and in tool-bar parts of the main-docking-bar.

Help in any of these areas will be very appreciated.

To finish this email I would like to say some tools like color-changers,
geometry-changers, text attributes changers, etc that impact on the
selected object could improve the usability of the new changes, again
any help is welcome.

Enjoy it,

-- Diego