Relative independence of odbs: IndexedCollection, the update problem

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Sep 25 18:46:24 UTC 2004

> Don't we have a class-change prim now?  It used to require a #become:,
> which would be very expensive.  But if we can just swizzle the class
> pointer this could be a pretty decent approach.
> I should also say that Stef has a good paper about this kind of stuff
> that I hope he'll post a link to.
:)

http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~scg/Archive/Papers/Duca99aMsgPassingControl.pdf
But take care what is described in the paper works for VW and some
tricks do not work for Squeak.
In particular changeClass: is reallllllllyyyyyyy dangerous in Squeak
(even with class having the same format we can crash an image in no
time
I did not tried a lot but I could not have a code working with
changeClass: involved.)

But the paper is worth reading.
Stef