the plan for 3.8 (from marus and stef)

Diego Gomez Deck DiegoGomezDeck at ConsultAr.com
Tue Sep 28 15:26:18 UTC 2004

Hi Stef,

> By the way
>
> 	Traits are ready to get in but I forgot to mention them, strange.
> 	Alan always said to nathanael that he would like to have a smalltalk
> with traits, so we have a good opportunity.
> 	Now this would be important to know if someone is against.
>
> Stef

I'm not against traits at all but I have comments to do (note: I sent
this comments to people behind traits months ago and I got no answer)

What I don't like in traits is the procedure to resolve conflicts.  The
politic to create a flat view of all the traits + super class produces
some of the problems we find in multi-hierarchy inheritance.

Concretely I would like to hear from you (the traits team) why a
flat-everything model is better than (my favorite) the mixins in
Strongtalk [1].  As long as I understand, this model shared the benefits
of traits avoiding the problems when conflicts occurs.

BTW, What about a first version of traits/mixins/callAsYouWant where
conflicts are not allowed?  In this case we can start to move from the
single-hierarchy while we find a way to resolve the conflicts.

Cheers,

-- Diego

[1] http://www.cs.ucsb.edu/projects/strongtalk/big/mixins-paper.ps