the plan for 3.8 (from marus and stef)

Michael Rueger michael at squeakland.org
Tue Sep 28 15:31:09 UTC 2004

Hi stéphane and fellow squeakers,

> We think that this is important that we build some plans for 3.8. As we
> already mentioned it, if someone needs
> urgently 3.8, he should do it.  We (marcus doug and me) would like to
> rest a bit and get some real stuff done.

You guys deserve it! :-)

> We discuss with diego and others about a good date and the idea would be
> to have 3.8beta the 15th of november
> and 3.8 ready for 15 of december. (no gamma phase this time). We lose
> too much time with that. Just some tentative images.

We would like to suggest that we close 3.8 asap and only allow fixes.
There are too many things that are broken through recent stuff,
especially m17n related.
E.g., for me personally I still need to fully adapt Yaxo, Jabber and
even some of the network code to m17n.

So our list:

> In addition to m17n,  what we would like to see with this version:
>     - services (so please have a look and comment)
>     - shout (already ready to go as package)
>     - a lot of fixes (so please continue to review and give your point
> of view!)
>     - excellent diego look
>     - new preference browser
>     - clean of the system dictionary (see my next email)
>     - SM20 with configuration (yes yes)

Did we mention fixes? ;-)
And tests are always welcome, not just for 3.8 ;-)

All other items are pretty deep system changes and IMHO would require a
longer testing phase.

So the release date could be nov 25th (Thanksgiving) and oct 15th could
be the beta stage (feature freeze) date.

So we (Bert and I) would like to suggest that until oct 15th enh etc
relating to the above list can be posted into the unstable stream. After
that date only fixes can go in. We would also like to suggest that we
handle bug tracking and collection of fixes through mantis
(http://bugs.impara.de).

Bert&Michael