the plan for 3.8 (from marus and stef)

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Tue Sep 28 17:59:32 UTC 2004

mike can yoou clarify that list because you confused me.

> We would like to suggest that we close 3.8 asap and only allow fixes.
> There are too many things that are broken through recent stuff,
> especially m17n related.
> E.g., for me personally I still need to fully adapt Yaxo, Jabber and
> even some of the network code to m17n.
>
> So our list:
>
>> In addition to m17n,  what we would like to see with this version:
>>     - services (so please have a look and comment)
>>     - shout (already ready to go as package)
>>     - a lot of fixes (so please continue to review and give your
>> point of view!)
>>     - excellent diego look
>>     - new preference browser
>>     - clean of the system dictionary (see my next email)
>>     - SM20 with configuration (yes yes)
>
> Did we mention fixes? ;-)
> And tests are always welcome, not just for 3.8 ;-)
>
> All other items are pretty deep system changes and IMHO would require
> a longer testing phase.
>
> So the release date could be nov 25th (Thanksgiving) and oct 15th
> could be the beta stage (feature freeze) date.
>
> So we (Bert and I) would like to suggest that until oct 15th enh etc
> relating to the above list can be posted into the unstable stream.
> After that date only fixes can go in. We would also like to suggest
> that we handle bug tracking and collection of fixes through mantis
> (http://bugs.impara.de).

When I read that I understand that this list is ok for you (except
SystemDictionary deep stuff).
You removed OB and refactorings but I do not really see why since the
AST+Parser are already in the image now
and they do not impact the system.

By the way do you imply that you will do the harvesting of changes?

Stef