Win32 UDP issues (Was: p2p update)

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Fri Apr 1 12:16:01 UTC 2005

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 02:27:09 +0200, Cees de Groot <cg at cdegroot.com> wrote:

> Biggest issue at this moment is that UDP quickly breaks down with higher
> traffic volumes under Win32, it seems [...]

The culprit seems to be the send to #primSendDone: - when bursting sends,
this regularly stalls for the whole timeout (60 seconds...). I'm skipping
the check now, sending #primSocket:sendData:startIndex:count: directly and
that works as I would expect.

I'm a bit lost in the Win32 socket code, which seems to employ
multithreading, but something there doesn't play nicely with UDP traffic.

Question: what are the risks of skipping sendDone checking? As far as I
can see everything I throw at the primitive lands at the other side, so it
seems to work just fine...