Automatic Startup

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Sun Apr 3 13:53:57 UTC 2005

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 20:36:51 +0100, Danny Woods <dannywoodz at yahoo.co.uk>
wrote:

> You might want to have a look at Dan Bernstein's daemontools
> (http://cr.yp.to/daemontools.html). Once installed, daemontools monitors
> processes defined under a /service directory, bringing them up
> automatically on boot. The benefit over a simple init script is that
> daemontools continues to monitor launched processes, resurrecting any
> that die unexpectedly.

+1 from me. We use it on the SqF box as well. The startup script is 'run'
and is simply something like:

#!/bin/sh
setuidgid squeakuser squeak -headless foo.image

(setuidgid is a utility from daemontools that sets the uid&gid to that of
'squeakuser', then starts the rest of the command line).

A process will monitor this script, and as soon as it exits (because
squeak dies) it will be restarted. Can't get it much simpler than that :)