Database options was (Re: My first Magma experience ...)

Yanni Chiu yanni at rogers.com
Sun Apr 3 21:56:58 UTC 2005

Jimmie Houchin wrote:

> Cees de Groot wrote:
> > I disagree. I put the cut only w.r.t. the complexity of the domain
> > model.  Simple domain model -> relational; complex domain model -> OODB.
> > No matter  what people say, there's a chasm between the OO and
> > relational models and  it will hurt your ability to create a flexible
> > domain model, which IMNSHO  is one of the most important things about
> > any moderately complex app.

IMHO, the issues of schema change and data migration
seem equally complex in both.

> Okay. Let me see if I understand you correctly.
> For a simple model, no joins or complex relational modeling, use of a
> RDBMS is fine maybe preferrable.

Unless your data consists of several unrelated tables,
there's going to be at least one join. When more than
two tables need to be joined (either in a single query
of in two successive queries) to get at the right data,
then the advantage starts to swing toward OODB.

> For something in which in a RDBMS you have multiple joins and complex
> modeling in which to represent or store your data, go OODBMS.
>
> Close? Correct?

I think it comes down to the performance criteria you
must meet. With an RDB you must accept the indexing and
retrieval characteristics of the database implementation.
With an OODB you can choose the best data structure to
give you the performance characteristics you need.