[ENH] Speed up horizontal scrollbars

Steven Swerling sswerling at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 4 02:32:09 UTC 2005

Doug Way wrote:

> Alright, that speeds things back up quite a bit.  I think that may be
> fast enough to turn the (optional) horizontal scrollbars back on, if we
> add it to 3.9alpha.  What do you think, Stephane?

I would wait a bit. Any bug in scroll logic is a very big one that could
cause much pain and suffering, since any such bug can prevent the
debugger from opening. Best if just a few people let it "steep" in a few
people's images for awhile first -- people who can handle it when
critical display logic goes awry once in a blue moon.

A side note: The ScrollPane permits overriding system prefs after the
pane has been instantiated. So why not turn #alwaysHideHScrollBar on by
default, but make a few exceptions for special cases? For instance, the
FileList is a bit hard to use w/out the hScrollbar, so just hard code
"dirList hideHScrollbarIndefinitely: false" in the file list code. Guess
you'd have to change the name of the pref to "usuallyHideHScrollBar" in
that case.