Database options was (Re: My first Magma experience ...)

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Mon Apr 4 12:24:03 UTC 2005

Trygve Reenskaug <trygver at ifi.uio.no> wrote:
> ODMG (and Magma) seem to block application evolution by storing the binary
> objects so that class definitions can't change. It will be difficult to use
> them in critical applications if this is correct.
>
> Cheers,
> --Trygve

This is not true AFAIK. GemStone/S for example handles multiple class
versions (at the same time) allowing lazy migration of instances. This
is AFAIK a much more advanced and flexible approach than RDBs offer.

And Magma seems to be following GemStone in this respect:

	http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/5602

I think most OODBs have some form of schema/class evolution facilities.

regards, Göran