Smalltalk/JVM

Travis Griggs tgriggs at key.net
Mon Apr 4 16:50:16 UTC 2005

On Apr 1, 2005, at 7:36, Cees de Groot wrote:

> On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 17:23:43 +0200, Noury Bouraqadi
> <bouraqadi at ensm-douai.fr> wrote:
>> A french company made a kind of middleware that bridge Java and
>> Smalltalk. You can have applications from both worlds collaborating.
>>
> Smalltalk/X has such a bridge as well, I think. Or did they implement
> a JVM in StX? Don't remember, but they did something with Java :)

They integrated a JVM into the system. It was pretty cool, and IMO,
quite a demonstration to how fungible and powerful a system like ST/X
with it's coincident C code can be. I don't know if it shows up on the
free "download" version though. IIRC, it was done at the behest of a
customer (as well as Claus's desire to show it could be done). The demo
I saw was some years ago, and it would not surprise me if it has not
been kept up to date.

--
Travis Griggs
Objologist