Celeste "empty trash" speeds things up!

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Tue Apr 5 18:21:45 UTC 2005

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005 09:57:59 -0400 , "Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:

> Whoa, Celeste's "empty trash" can really speed things up, especially if
> you are on mailing lists or if you use the built-in spam catcher.  It
> makes it load and save MUCH faster.  It's highly recommended, and it's
> worth reconsidering the automatic deletion of trash as time goes on.
> Users shouldn't have to "sweep the floors" like this, IMHO, if it is not
> necessary.  Maybe auto-delete mail that has been in the trash for 10
> days?

Just as an aside -- I've kept pretty much every piece of spam I've ever
received. I periodically make a new spam folder, when the old one gets to
30-40,000 items. I don't use Celeste, though...

Right now, I've got just under 150,000 spam messages archived. I find it
useful to keep them because I use filters on my mail client to override the
bayesian filter I use (POPFile), which sometimes marks messages from people
on certain topics as spam when they aren't. I can then run global searches
on my spam archive to see how effective a new filter will be at avoiding
spam and catching real messages.

Later,
Jon