image bytecode format

Joseph Graham jgraham at majikoz.com
Wed Apr 6 19:15:25 UTC 2005

Hello,
Thank you for your replies.  Can anyone tell me if the "blue-book" is
the most current documentation on the Squeak image instruction set?
I think it would be wonderful to implement an interpreter that can just
read a minimal image that already works in another VM (ala squeak).

I am looking to implement something very small, even smaller than the
squeak PDA system but for Java.  I wanted to be able to embed a
Smalltalk interpreter in Java servlets (web) and be able to invoke Java
SWT (http://www.eclipse.org/swt/) for desktop stuff.  If it's small
enough I can maybe even compile with J2ME (no floats) at some point.

I was even looking at the PDST image file which is just source code.  I
am not looking to reinvent the wheel but wanted a minimal interpreter I
can embed in Java apps.  For some reason I am thinking a minimal
bytecode instruction interpreter seems to be the best approach.

Thanks again for all your help!!