Celeste "empty trash" speeds things up!

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Thu Apr 7 13:23:04 UTC 2005

Giovanni Giorgi <giovanni.giorgi at siforge.org> wrote:
> Yes this problem is a issue even with Mac Os X Mail.
> I resolved it using a filter to split folder by date (dividing an year
> into 4 quarters).
> ThunderBird seems stronger and more effective

This is my approach in Celeste, actually.  I have about one database per
year.

To help with the situation, I have stopped saving email messages that
are already archived -- like, notably, the Squeak mailing list.  This
makes my email database grow MUCH slower.  Maybe I can keep my current
one indefinitely -- it is only 7000 messages despite 9 months of
use, and I do get a faster computer every couple of years or so.

Anyway, as stated earlier, I entirely disagree that we should go away
from a single index, if we can avoid it.  Having a single index is
really convenient.  It is well worth spending a few seconds on load time
-- especially since, due to Celeste being embedded in Squeak, you don't
do a true "load" very often at all.

Lex