Making Squeak Productive

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Sun Apr 10 18:20:59 UTC 2005

Daniel Salama <dsalama at user.net> wrote:

> Just came across this and thought it was a very nice page for newbies.
> Wanted to share with you in case others find it useful.
>
> http://www.duke.edu/~bmp5/squeak/usable.html
Interesting and certainly quite useful.

I'm puzzled by the assertions about the regular expression stuff though. The
RePlugin is still in the VMMaker world and it uses no platform specific code so
it certainly ought to work on Macs. It could only be something in the makefile
(equivalent xCode hoohah) stopping it I think.

I don't know enough about the theory of regular expression stuff to do more
than ask if it is actually the case that PCRE is 'faster, more flexible and
more powerful'. Is there some particular disadvantage to the plugin that I
haven't heard about? It's only ~30kb or so of compiled code so it can't really
be a space issue of any magnitude. Is the image code particularly large or bad?

tim
Useful random insult:- Useful as a football bat.