[Q] Squeak on Symbian

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Mon Apr 11 23:21:23 UTC 2005

âÁÓËÁËÏ× äÁÎÉÉÌ <daniq at inbox.ru> wrote:

> Is it possible to run Squeak (or other Smalltalk) on Symbian? Are there
> any live projects? Is it difficult to build VM and prepare image by myself?
> Thanx...
I was attempting this but gave up since EPOC was effectively killed. There was
a partially successful VM for the Psion 5 clamshell PDA but I never managed to
make it work myself.

Porting is not generally terribly difficult if the OS has fairly 'ordinary'
facilities. If it is odd, or lacks things common to desktop OSs it gets a
little harder _unless_ it is really bare in which case it can actually be
easier. This is because there is less awkward OS to get in the way.

The worst part of my attempts to do any EPOC work was the horrible development
environment.

tim
Strange OpCodes: PBC: Print and Break Chain