OODB Collections

David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Tue Apr 12 22:43:03 UTC 2005

Daniel Salama wrote:

> I'm wondering if anyone can shed some light as to which of the
> standard collection classes are "OODB safe"?
>
> By this, I mean that when large collections of objects are stored in
> an OODB, they will be efficiently accessed via Squeak without having
> to, necessarily, load the entire collection in memory.
>
> One example of these are, as were recommended earlier to me, the BTree
> classes by Avi. However, looking at Magma, I see it does have some
> support for large collections. Also, OmniBase has some collection
> classes of its own.
>
> But, questions like: at which point does it become important to
> consider optimized collections? or is it safe to use Dictionaries or
> is there a more efficient collection? I don't know. Just looking for
> general advise on proper usability of collection classes and their
> persistency (sorry for being so vague).

As soon as performance laggs ;-)  Personally I use BTree's and TreeSet's
w/ GOODS in many places.  Generally any collection that grows over a
couple hundred elements.  They have a huge impact on things like "user
lists" which are searched quite often.  Using a Dictionary for
persistence hasn't worked well for me in these cases.

David