www.squeaksource.com down ?

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Wed Apr 13 13:25:02 UTC 2005

On Mon, 11 Apr 2005 22:57:43 -0400, Colin Putney <cputney at wiresong.ca>
wrote:

> Yes, it would be nice to do something better.

Try the 'Tric P2P' repository. No need for manual mirroring and stuff ;P

In all seriousness: SqueakSource is an extremely important resource, but
right now too unreliable for regular use - if the proxy isn't down, then
the server itself is overloaded or otherwise unavailable.

Personally, I'd like SqueakSource to be reliable and scalable enough so
that people won't even think again of creating 'private' MC repositories
for their projects (at the moment, I develop using a private MC repo and
only publish to SqueakSource when I have time, think of it, have something
interesting to share - that's when all three are true, not when just one
is true, so hardly ever).

This probably means that SqueakSource - at least the MC part - needs to be
replicatable. Something with my P2P code does mostly automagically. The
end result could be that www.squeaksource.com points to a list of A
records, each with a SqueakSource instance. DNS round-robin will take care
of load balancing, the P2P networking code beneath each SqueakSource
instance would make sure that what you upload in anyone instance would be
shortly available somewhere else.

Could that be a workable setup?