Streams in squeak.

Matej Kosik kosik at fiit.stuba.sk
Thu Apr 14 12:43:55 UTC 2005

François THIMON wrote:
> Hi.
> It seems my previous message hasn't been posted correctly, then here it is once
> more:
>
> I currently work for a project in which I have to transmit orders with the
> I2C protocol. For the moment, I already have an I2CProtocol class that can send
> commands (as highSDA, lowSCL, sendACK and so on) to (almost) any kind of link
> (either a socket, a hardware port, ...). My teachers would like me to make my
> class as a stream : I2CStream. Currently I don't really think I'm fluent enough
> with the notion of stream, but I can still read any API's documentation on my
> own.
>
> My questions are :
>  - according to you, what should I do in order to conceive a class that "fits"
> in squeak's current framework? What functionalities should my stream have?
>  - is there already some project or code I should inspire myself from?

The classical topics concerning classical parts of Smalltalk (such as streams) are well covered in classical books about Smalltalk. I have one

	Adele Goldberg, Dave Robson: Smalltlak-80, The Language, ...

Well, maybe not the most funny one but has the information you are looking for and it is comprehensible. It just takes some time to read it. Some parts of it are still relevant. Some are matter of (interesting) history. There are also other online books:

	http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/FreeBooks.html

There is a lot of examples of various kinds of streams directly in Squeak. Find which sublasses it has and play with them. You will see what they had to override and implement in addition to the framework they are plugged in.

--
Matej Kosik, icq://300133844, http://altair.dcs.elf.stuba.sk/wiki/Kosik/Main