native threads

Ramiro Diaz Trepat ramirodt at gmail.com
Thu Apr 14 14:57:01 UTC 2005

This might have been talked about before, but I wanted to ask.
I started reading the list again, and a few days ago someone asked
about why filling a shared queue on two separete processes filled it
sequentially.  Someone else mentioned the issue of the "green threads"
and answered with a propoer code snippet, showing that a Processor
yield was needed to do the trick.
I believe that no serious server software will ever be possible
without preemtive multitasking, probably no client sofware either.
Hence this issue of the green threads really shocked me, and it
surprised me that I never heard of plans for implementing such a high
priority feature (if the objective is to make Squeak something else
than a toy, of course).
Green threads are such an anachronic technology, they remind me of
Windows 3.11 :)
Java was born with green threads, but it must be about 10 years since
it has implemented native threads.
Well, the question is of course, if the implementation of native
threads is in the plans of the virtual machine wizards?
Or did I get it all wrong and green threads are fine?
Cheers !

r.

--
http://neosmt.com