OODB Storage Options and Performance

Chris Muller chris at funkyobjects.org
Thu Apr 14 15:07:59 UTC 2005

> I thought Omnibase was multi-user ?: - Anyway, your machine seems to
> definitely be faster than mine :)

Or, as you said before, my "configuration", the hardware, OS, VM,
Squeak-version, etc.. is faster.

> I ran your updated script and got
> 26.786/21.429 seconds respectively.

This is somewhat surprising to me actually, and a little disappointing because
I want the Mac to be faster..  I'm wondering if there's some software
configuration that's responsible for this.  Have you tried Squeak 3.7?

> Also, is that a new feature to run
> Magma "locally"?

No, it's been there since the earliest versions.

> Does it mean to say that I can have a Magma server
> using #openLocal and at the same time another Magma server using #open
> on the same repository and can the two servers update the repository
> simultaneously?

No.  Magma only supports one server per repository.  This helps keep it smaller
and simpler to use (seriously, don't laugh).  Therefore, users can employ
peer-to-peer sharing of their personal domain models.  They can start a server
normally via MagmaServerConsole new open: 'filename' processOn: somePort.  They
can then create a local connection for concurrent, thread-safe access with
their peers:

  mySession := MagmaSession repositoryController: myConsole controller

This session will have the fastest access because its a local connection,
remote peer connections must go through serialization and network transport.

> I will update the version of Magma I have with the latest MC version
> and re-run the bulk-load to see how it goes. Will let you know.

Be sure to turn on WriteBarrier.  And remember that bulk-loads in particular
require careful consideration to achieve optimal performance.

Good luck,
  Chris