native threads

Daniel Salama dsalama at user.net
Thu Apr 14 15:16:31 UTC 2005

On Apr 14, 2005, at 11:00 AM, Colin Putney wrote:

> The only advantage of native threads is they can make use of more than
> one processor. But the cases where you really need this are pretty
> rare.

Not the case when you run on the latest and greatest Intel chips, like
the Xeon, where you can take advantage of technologies such as
hyperthreading on a single-CPU machine. I agree with Ramiro in that
Squeak should support native threads. Again, I posted this question
before and no one really addressed it: Is this a Squeak-only issue or
is it an issue with Smalltalk in general?

Thanks,
Daniel