native threads

Alan Grimes alangrimes at starpower.net
Mon Apr 11 15:52:44 UTC 2005

>Green threads are such an anachronic technology, they remind me of
>Windows 3.11 :)

Not even!
If you come over to my place, I can show you my 486 and how windows 3.11
does indeed preemptively multitask DOS windows. (but not normal windows
apps.)

>Java was born with green threads, but it must be about 10 years since
>it has implemented native threads.
>Well, the question is of course, if the implementation of native
>threads is in the plans of the virtual machine wizards?

A while back I started to try to do that but then my HD crashed. =(

I was under the mistaken impression that squeak processes WERE
preemptive. Now that I know they aren't, that will need to be fixed first.

=\