native threads

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Thu Apr 14 17:07:32 UTC 2005

Ramiro Diaz Trepat <ramirodt at gmail.com> wrote:

> I believe that no serious server software will ever be possible
> without preemtive multitasking, probably no client sofware either.
Really? Have you not read about SeaSide, possibly the best webserver around?
And we have a variety of net clients for things like IRC, mail, ftp, a
webbrowser etc.

There is no standard for 'native' threads that we could adhere to; every damn
OS does it its own way, usually awkwardly. Native threads don't synchronise
with our requirements for VM & object coherence either.

tim
Strange OpCodes: SGD: Spin and Granulate Disks