Fwd: native threads

Alan Knight knight at acm.org
Thu Apr 14 18:59:11 UTC 2005

There is certainly large-scale server software written in Smalltalk, and
some of it runs large-scale web sites. The most obvious public example is
EZBoard, which runs its servers entirely on Smalltalk (VisualWorks, not
Squeak, but the process model is similar). Last time I heard statistics,
which is a couple of years ago now, it was in the top 30 web sites in the
world in terms of volume. So the process model doesn't seem to be a problem
that way.  We've had companies running both Smalltalk and Java on their
servers report that Smalltalk was significantly more stable.

Also, in server software, native threading is not necessarily a blessing.
For example, the Opentalk distributed programming system was ported from
VisualWorks (which has "green" threads) to ObjectStudio, which uses native
threads. Some things didn't work, because in VisualWorks it was entirely
reasonable to spawn dozens or hundreds of threads to perform tasks, and
worked well. Forking Windows threads in the same way gave performance and
stability problems. You typically see this in e.g. Java where servers have
to carefully manage thread pools rather than just using threads.

--
Alan Knight [|], Cincom Smalltalk Development
knight at acm.org
aknight at cincom.com
http://www.cincom.com/smalltalk

"The Static Typing Philosophy: Make it fast. Make it right. Make it run." -
Niall Ross