native threads

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Thu Apr 14 19:14:25 UTC 2005

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 11:16:31 -0400, Daniel Salama <dsalama at user.net> wrote:
> Not the case when you run on the latest and greatest Intel chips, like
> the Xeon, where you can take advantage of technologies such as
> hyperthreading on a single-CPU machine.

Even my laptop sports an HT CPU. Sorta cool, having two graphs in the task
manager :).

Still, native multithreading is a big can of worms. At least, if my Java
experience applies here (I used to be part of the "Blackdown" team, not
that I contributed anything major, but I did get my share of exposure to
this when helping out to port Java to Linux). Personally, I'd rather look
at various clustering setups with multiple image instances.

As I said before, VW has native MT support, but I never had the guts to
switch it on. Just ran two images...