Fwd: native threads

Cees de Groot cg at cdegroot.com
Thu Apr 14 19:31:23 UTC 2005

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 14:59:11 -0400, Alan Knight <knight at acm.org> wrote:

> There is certainly large-scale server software written in Smalltalk, and
> some of it runs large-scale web sites. The most obvious public example
> is EZBoard, which runs its servers entirely on Smalltalk (VisualWorks,
> not Squeak, but the process model is similar).

We were in the top 2500 with our VW appserver. Every single issue that
came up was due to our limited programming skills (i.e. 'bugs'), not green
or native threading issues. The load across the 2 CPU's of the appserver
box was distributed by having to images perform different tasks (one
served the website, the other did background processing). Two simpler
images, preferrable to one complex image doing native multithreading in my
book...