OODB Storage Options and Performance

Daniel Salama dsalama at user.net
Thu Apr 14 21:26:24 UTC 2005

On Apr 14, 2005, at 2:37 PM, Daniel Salama wrote:

> Finally, I ran the exact same copy of code using MagmaArray, except
> that I changed MagmaArray to BTree. The result was a disappointing
> execution time of 3810 seconds. However, accessing the 6666th element
> now only took 10 seconds.
>
> In my opinion, 10 seconds is still slow for directly accessing an
> object by its index (key in the BTree case). I don't know if the
> access time will be linear. What will happen when I need to access the
> 1,034,768th customer? Today, it only takes me fractions of a second to
> do so in MySQL!

I apologize for the mis-reading of the BTree random read result. It was
not 10 seconds. It was 1.02 seconds. However, I noticed something
peculiar. I ran 4 times a piece of code which simply read the 6666th
element of the BTree tree and in all 4 times, it gave me different
execution times (2.9 secs, 0.9 secs, 1.3 secs, and 0.8 secs). During
all these, I let Squeak sit idle for a while and then ran it again.

Thanks,
Daniel