native threads

Giovanni Giorgi giorgi_g at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 14 18:24:54 UTC 2005

--- Tim Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Ramiro Diaz Trepat <ramirodt at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I believe that no serious server software will ever be possible
> > without preemtive multitasking, probably no client sofware either.
> Really? Have you not read about SeaSide, possibly the best webserver
> around?

Native threads are userful because of  preemptive mutlitasking.
See the difference of stability of Mac OS System 9/8/7 and Mac Os X.
We can live without preemptive mutlitasking, (we lived without it in a
lot of system until 1995 and beyond).
But if you want to develop a good server in a very *simple* way you
definitevely need it at least in some situation.

It is too difficult to develop a multi-request server without native
threads: a single bug can stuck yoour beautiful server.

It would be interesting to have a nice FFI dll for squeak, to enable
it... :)
my 2 cents ;)

// Giovanni Giorgi    http://www.siforge.org