3.8/3.9 Divergence

Ken Causey ken at kencausey.com
Fri Apr 15 18:25:25 UTC 2005

As Bert's chart on http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/275 shows the
sequence of updates between for 3.8 and 3.9 is quite complicated.  At
times (including now) we've had a situation where there are updates in
the 3.8 update stream that are not in the 3.9 update stream.  Now maybe
I just haven't been paying much attention in the past but this is not a
common occurrence in the history of Squeak development I don't believe.
Right now it is causing us in the Janitors team a bit of a headache as
it's a bit of a toss up at times to what image a given fix may or may
not apply.  We've had a policy of testing everything against a fully
updated 3.9 image and this has been fine in general but is right now a
problem with all the String updates that are in 3.8 but not in 3.9.

What I'm wondering is whether we expect this to be a more common
situation in the future than it has been in the past.  To be more
explicit do we expect it to be not uncommon in the future for there to
be a situation in which y.x has some number of updates that y.(x+1) does
not?  If so then we (Janitors and friends) will need to plan for this I
think.

Ken