[ANN] new website for squeak.org in beta :)

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Mon Apr 18 08:08:43 UTC 2005

Hi all!

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?st=E9phane_ducasse?= <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:
> Hi guys
>
> We have been working to get a new website for squeak (thanks pavel,
> alex and the others...)
> Please have a look at
> 	http://box1.squeakfoundation.org:7777/
>
> Now before commenting, turn twice your tongue in your mouth...because
> if you have extra smart ideas then we will need your time too. :)

Some few comments that may be of use to you:

1. Perhaps the download box could be moved to the left below the
navigation box? The effect right now is that the center area gets rather
narrow. Just an idea. Most other sites with this 3-column layout tend to
have more stuff on the left and right side thus not wasting those two
columns.

2. As other people have suggested the first paragraphs should describe
Squeak "more". Since I don't want to "bitch" without input :) I can try
to write down a few paragraphs if you like. As a suggestion. Later
today.

3. Regarding a Linux/Unix-download, I agree it would be nice to have.
Since Unix/Linux is a very diverse platform, what should we then point
to? One idea is to have a .tgz which is the current released src (3.7)
and current released image/sources all in one. I am not sure if there is
such a tgz today - but it would be trivial to make one. Other ideas? Of
course, we could offer two links - both rpms and debs and that would
catch most of the "Linux users".

4. The "Hot sites" section could perhaps have a paragraph before the
linklist saying something like:
"When you have installed and started Squeak there are a number of Squeak
related projects that have their own websites that could be of interest
to you, here is a sample list."

regards, Göran