3.8/3.9 Divergence

Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM
Mon Apr 18 21:40:43 UTC 2005

Hi Doug,

Running concurrent development streams without a very strong management
structure is just asking for trouble.  We do this on some projects at my
day job, and it is always a struggle to pull changes forward from a
numerically lower version that was being worked on simultaneously.  IMO,
3.8gamma should have been frozen and declared "final" before people
launched into 3.9 alpha.

When something is declared "gamma", to me, that should mean that "This is
essentially the final release except for fixing show stopping bugs
reported in the gamma build." or something similar.  Why is there no "3.8
final" yet, and why is there a "3.9 alpha" and changes still being made to
both?

I find the current state of affairs troubling, and have just stuck with
3.7 for anything I am working on until sanity returns to Squeak
development.

It seems like 3.8 has been going on for quite a long time now (i.e. > 6
months).  Andreas is a very smart guy, but either 3.8 isn't really in
"gamma", or his refactoring should not be in the 3.8 "gamma" stream. There
are too many open questions for this refactoring to go into a "gamma"
build, .  Mind you, I like his refactoring, but I think this is more a
question of development process.  It seems that this refactoring is more
of an improvement than a fix for show stoppers, so it shouldn't go into a
stream that is supposedly in "gamma", no?

Am I misunderstanding the meaning of "gamma" for Squeak development
streams?

                                        -Dean

Doug Way <dway at mailcan.com>
Sent by: squeak-dev-bounces at lists.squeakfoundation.org
04/16/2005 05:47 PM
Please respond to The general-purpose Squeak developers list