Clusters, grids and Squeak

Cees De Groot cdegroot at gmail.com
Tue Apr 19 10:15:43 UTC 2005

> I suspect that launching 96 images at the moment might be somewhat
> unfeasible, as an out of the box image takes about 25 meg of memory,
> so starting 1 per cpu would eat 2.4 Gigs before you've even started!

Err... if you have a 96-way processor, I assume you will have a couple
of Gigs of RAM in there....

Of course, there are the 'small image' projects. A 2Mb image is easy,
and Craig showed that a <100k image is possible. 2Mb would eat a
meagre 200Mb on the 96way processor box, no problem at all I'd say.

The *real* problem is finding algorithms to make use of 96 processors
for browsing the web ;-)