Question: VM and DirectFB (Direct Framebuffer)

Rene Pavlik skyrat at centrum.cz
Wed Apr 20 18:51:54 UTC 2005

goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
 > Eh... have you checked in platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev ?
 >
 > Or you could read the man page of squeak. :) So in short - it is already
 > built in.

Hi,

of course I have read the man page of Squeak and also have checked in platforms/unix/vm-display-fbdev.
Maybe I'm blind but I can't see anything about DirectFB. Only fbdev is mentioned there. vm-display-fbdev
runs fine. But I'm looking for DirectFB plugin (something like vm-display-directfb), not fbdev.

As you say, fbdev is already built in. In my opinion it doesn't use DirectFB interface so it touches
straightly
the framebuffer device.

vm-display-fbdev:   Squeak VM -> /dev/fb0
???imlookingfor???: Squeak VM -> DirectFB -> /dev/fb0

Once again: DirectFB is not fbdev, it is a library and interface between application and fbdev!
Have a look at http://www.directfb.org

If I'm mistaken and vm-display-fbdev implements also support for DirectFB, let me know, please.

-- Rene