[ANN] new website for squeak.org in beta :)

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Apr 20 20:16:12 UTC 2005

> 3. Regarding a Linux/Unix-download, I agree it would be nice to have.
> Since Unix/Linux is a very diverse platform, what should we then point
> to? One idea is to have a .tgz which is the current released src (3.7)
> and current released image/sources all in one. I am not sure if there is
> such a tgz today - but it would be trivial to make one. Other ideas? Of
> course, we could offer two links - both rpms and debs and that would
> catch most of the "Linux users".

The first idea sounds best.

You can't just post "an rpm" or "a deb" -- you need different rpm's and
deb's for each distribution you target.  One for RedHat 9, one for
Mandrake, one for Debian/stable, one for Debian/unstable, etc.  Posting
a mega-glop tarball with source sounds like the best strategy.  Unix
users will extract it and know what to do.

To link for more info, the Swiki page is IMHO the best target.

-Lex