Question: Does the VM send messages in order to send messages?

Peter Suk peter.kwangjun.suk at mac.com
Wed Apr 20 22:52:52 UTC 2005

Hello,

A question about the Squeak VM internals I'd like to ask, since it
would probably be quick to ask and slower to read the code.  (But a
pointer to code would also be appreciated.)  Does the VM send Smalltalk
messages in order to resolve Smalltalk messages?  Or does it just
dereference pointers?  In particular, I'm interested in how the VM
walks the Class hierarchy and reaches into Method Dictionaries to
resolve message sends.

--Peter

--
There's neither heaven nor hell, save what we grant ourselves.
There's neither fairness nor justice, save what we grant each other.