[ANN] new website for squeak.org in beta :)

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Thu Apr 21 21:26:50 UTC 2005

Hi!

"Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote:
> > 3. Regarding a Linux/Unix-download, I agree it would be nice to have.
> > Since Unix/Linux is a very diverse platform, what should we then point
> > to? One idea is to have a .tgz which is the current released src (3.7)
> > and current released image/sources all in one. I am not sure if there is
> > such a tgz today - but it would be trivial to make one. Other ideas? Of
> > course, we could offer two links - both rpms and debs and that would
> > catch most of the "Linux users".
>
> The first idea sounds best.
>
> You can't just post "an rpm" or "a deb" -- you need different rpm's and
> deb's for each distribution you target.  One for RedHat 9, one for
> Mandrake, one for Debian/stable, one for Debian/unstable, etc.  Posting

Yes, I know. And indeed there are just too many distros today for that
to be a good option.

> a mega-glop tarball with source sounds like the best strategy.  Unix
> users will extract it and know what to do.

Yup.

> To link for more info, the Swiki page is IMHO the best target.

I agree.

I have been writing two texts which I will post tomorrow, the first one
is an attempt of a really-cool-sounding-intro-text with lots of nice
buzzwords etc. I have been sneaking some peeks on the other sister
projects to see how they do it. The second text is a community-howto
trying to explain and point to relevant important top resources,
cultural things etc. Well, hard to explain, you will see.

regards, Göran