3.8/3.9 Divergence and announcements

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Thu Apr 21 21:32:27 UTC 2005

Hi!

Ross Boylan <RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 19, 2005 at 08:28:11PM +0200, goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > Just wanted to chime in and say that Michael corresponded with us
> > Coordinators and a few others off list (IIRC) about how to handle this
> > refactoring in relation to 3.8 and we decided together that given the
> > factors it was best to get it in despite the very late hour because as
> > Andreas explained - the mess we would have gotten into without doing
> > this now would have been really... super awkward. :)
> >
> > So we sucked it up and delayed 3.8, but I too think it was the right
> > thing to do. AFAIK we don't have people jumping up and down waiting for
> > 3.8 - so better to get it right.
> >
> > regards, Göran
> >
> I don't have any problem with the delay, but I have a request: when
> you make such a decision could you announce it?  I mean in a real
> obvious way, like a message with subject
> [ANN] 3.8 Release Delayed
> or "Delayed for String Adjustments"
>
> Maybe you did, but I missed it, and I have been keeping my eye out for
> a final 3.8, which I thought was imminent until I saw this thread.

It was imminent indeed, we were down with the final image makeups. And
yes, I agree we should have posted something like above - I actually
assumed that Michael was going to do that, he is release boss after all.

> Also, while I'm making requests, it would be nice if there were
> summaries of the major features or changes in each release.  I realize
> that request is a little harder to satisfy.

I have actually per request from Michael glanced through most of the
changesets (phew) and sent him a partial (I admit to skimming a bit)
list of noteworthy things. I think a few other people also was asked to
do that.

So such a list will be included.

> Thanks.
>
> Ross Boylan