web browsers (was: squeak laptop for the rest of us)

Jon Hylands jon at huv.com
Fri Apr 22 02:38:59 UTC 2005

On Mon, 18 Apr 2005 21:10:44 -0300 , Jecel Assumpcao Jr
<jecel at merlintec.com> wrote:

> What IE does, you mean. There are quite a few pages where I can't read
> the text in Mozilla because it flows under some picture. This is a case
> of the browser being right and the site wrong, no doubt, but it does
> make things more complicated for the user. Normally I just go on to
> another page, but if it is important then I'll select all the text and
> copy it to another window. With a proper Squeak browser I would expect
> to be able to call up the halo on the offending item and force it to be
> readable.

When I wrote the web browser at Interval in Squeak back in 1997/98,
probably 80% of my time was spent trying to compensate for bad,
poorly-formed HTML.

I don't expect things have gotten much better in the intervening years, but
perhaps more people use tools now to do layout.

Its an enourmous part of the job, and you would do well to factor a
significant percentage of your total development effort to it.

Later,
Jon