Clusters, grids and Squeak

Darren Hobbs darren.hobbs at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 06:52:47 UTC 2005

Has any work been done with squeak and grids?  Lets say you've got 200
blade servers sitting on a gigabit ethernet and you want to gridify
them.  There is a lot of interest in this in some industries at the
moment.  Is there a squeak equivalent of the Javaspaces / Linda shared
tuple space technology?

Javaspaces does not in itself give you a grid, but it is a very good
platform upon which to build one.  Coupling a shared-space
implementation with agent-type code migration gives you a means for
arbitrary computation tasks (code + data) to be submitted to the grid.

As far as I know, it should be easier to ship source code around a
network and compile it locally in squeak than in java, due to the
compiler being just another object, but I'm struggling to find any
documentation on this.

Any pointers?

Thanks,

-Darren