Questions about Transcript

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Fri Apr 22 07:26:23 UTC 2005

Poking around my image, I discovered I had some huge objects that were
the contents of transcripts.

I was surprised that Transcript open produces an empty Transcript
window, even when I'm in the project with the big transcript (a
Morphic project).  Is there a natural way to get a window that shows
the existing Transcript contents?

Second, what's a good way to clear out the junk?  I see various
methods that sound in the right neighborhood, but I'm not sure which
one to use.  A particular concern is that the associated String has
been grown to about 4Mg, though only about 2Mg is in use.  I want to
actually free up the memory, not just blank it out or reset the
transcript counters.

Finally, is there a good way to access the transcript without being in
the associated Project?  It seems to be in an instance variable for
which there are no accessors, so the only way to get at it is when it
gets swapped into Smalltalk at: #Transcript when the project becomes
active.  (I  don't consider TranscriptStream allInstances and messing
around in inspectors a good way to access a transcript).

This is in a 3.6ish image, if that matters.

Ross Boylan