Harvesting?

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Fri Apr 22 08:35:30 UTC 2005

Hi Andreas and all!

Andreas Raab <andreas.raab at gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi Folks -
>
> Stef just wrote a message where he complained that there's no harvesting
> going on.

Right, it has been stalled for quite some time. In fact, you might have
seen this page:

	http://anakin.bluefish.se/castaways/2

Where a whole bunch of issues are listed.

> I kinda agree and for me it triggered the interesting question
> what nowadays process is.

At the moment there is no process. What we do have is the Janitors team
which has been looking into harvesting related issues, granted that Team
has not yet taken on the big question about exactly how the process
could work.

So the question is open. Oh, and another thing we do have is the concept
of a Team and leader for each release - the leader of 3.9 is Doug Way.
So this should be taken into account when discussing a new model.

> With the guides being fired and all I wonder
> who is in charge to actually accept contributions?

Hehe, that is a misleading sentence. First of all, the Guides didn't do
much harvesting at all and the Harvesters as a group was not equal to
the guides. Secondly, the issue of stalled harvesting predates the
forming of the Coordinator group.

But the important question of course remains, what model/process do we
want to have?

- I know the Janitors team has been doing some thinking. I would like to
hear more from them in this, because that is after all the team formed
in that specific area. Ken?

- The packages Team is meant to produce a partitioning during 3.9 which
means we get people assigned to look after portions of the image as
packages. This will IMHO greatly improve the situation since all FIXes
should be handled in a distributed fashion. Unfortunately it seems that
Team is a bit stalled too, at least when it comes to that specific task.
Avi?

- The release team leader should IMHO focus on dealing with ENHs and
other planned additions for a release. That doesn't mean the leader does
all the work, but it means that the Team formed for a release takes the
overall decisions and actions regarding ENHs and additions, of course in
synch with the package maintainers mentioned above because they are the
ones in charge of the various packages.

Now... the above describes a model/process which really doesn't have a
dedicated group of harvesters but instead relies on the image being
partitioned into packages with maintainers and having dedicated release
teams, and I think that is the direction we should move.

What do you all say?

> I think the pages on
> minnow etc. could use some updating in this regard but some general
> guidelines about what todays processes look like would be nice, too.

Yes, I agree.

> Just curious,
>    - Andreas

regards, Göran