BFAV to shutdown or not shutdown

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Apr 22 10:54:34 UTC 2005

On Thu, Apr 21, 2005 at 11:27:12AM -0500, Ken Causey wrote:
> Primarily because we janitors are human and the BFAV database serves for
> now as a useful backup to help us keep track of what issues we have and
> have not properly handled.  If we miss one then it is very easy to catch
> by looking in BFAV.  Secondarily, there are still issues in BFAV that
> should be handled in the old way.  To do that harvesters need to be able
> to close the issue, mark them as approved, mark them as being in an
> update etc.  All this relies on BFAV being able to receive new reports
> by email.

Keeping BFAV available is a good thing. There are lots of issues and
concerns with history documented in BFAV and not (yet) in Mantis. As
an example, bug #989 in Mantis reports a problem that is a show-stopper
for Tweak. The original root problem dated back at least a couple of
years, and some poor idiot had provided an incorrect fix that ultimately
resulted in the show-stopper for Tweak. The history of this was all
in BFAV, and the idiot in question was able to look it up in BFAV and
provide enough background to help sort things out.

The moral of the story is that we have a lot of old issues that need
to be managed, and BFAV is still useful even if the issue management
process has moved to Mantis.

Dave