BFAV to shutdown or not shutdown

karl karl.ramberg at chello.se
Sat Apr 23 07:54:05 UTC 2005

Lex Spoon wrote:

>I have found it nice in general to use Mantis.  One improvement is the
>speed.  I frequently avoided using BFAV because I would have to wait for
>many minutes while it downloads the email database.  Another is that I
>like and understand filtering that Mantis has built into it.
>
>I certainly liked having a Squeak interface, though.  It was especially
>nice being able to browse code proposals without having to save them to
>a file and then reload them in Mantis.
>
>FWIW.  I expect that using an off-the-shelf bug tracker is going to be
>the fastest way to getting a pretty good bug tracker, and that a little
>Squeak hacking can turn any pretty good web-based tracker into an
>excellent one.  If someone wants to really work on a Squeak-based
>tracker, including getting the performance improved, then that is great,
>but given that that doesn't seem to be happening....  If someone is into
>bug tracking technology, but has limited time, then a great way to get a
>lot of results from a little bit of effort would be to make a BFAV-like
>GUI that talks to a web-based bug tracker.
>
>-Lex

The reason I picked up the TableMorph project again was to be able to
browse Mantis from
within Squeak. But the login to Mantis need fixing to be able enter the
site with Scamper.
I guess it could be better to axess the Mantis database with a dedicated
client and dropping the
web interface all together...
Karl